Throughout the 19th and 20th century, Cadogan Lodge continued to go from strength to strength. As new members of various professions joined, the location of the meeting places changed. In 1817, the Lodge moved from Southwark to the City of London, followed by a move to the Holborn area in 1826. Around this period, the union of Black Fryers Bridge and Cadogan Lodges took place, the latter name being used from 1836 onwards. In the early 20th century, Piccadilly and St. James were home to the Lodge.

1867 marked the Lodge's Centenary. Meeting minutes from this year record the application to wear the Masonic Centenary Jewel. Permission was received, this being the first sanction given to any Lodge to wear the Centenary Jewel of the standard pattern.

In 1926, the Right Honourable Gerald Oakley Cadogan (6th Earl Cadogan) joined the Lodge. William Gerald Charles Cadogan (7th Earl Cadogan) was initiated in 1935.

On 11th April 1967, the Lodge celebrated its bi-centenary in style at Freemasons' Hall. For this occasion, Earl Cadogan's son, Viscount Chelsea, occupied the chair, having joined the previous year. The Grand Secretary presented the Lodge with its bi-centenary warrant. The Grand Chaplain gave an oration on the theme of the symbolism of Blackfriars Bridge. Click here to view the oration.

In 1972, Cadogan Lodge moved to the Duke of York's Headquarters, Chelsea, where it spent 29 happy and successful years.

The Lodge is now flourishing back at the home of Freemasonry, Freemasons' Hall in Great Queen Street. Click here to view a full list of meeting places from its inception.


Below is the summons for the Cadogan Lodge meeting, held on 1st June 1971, initiating one of our current members, Mr. Michael Knowland.

Cadogan Lodge Meeting Places